Many things have happened that I would like to write about/draw attention to/recoil from in horror, so it’s time for a Link Salad! Will this silly name stick? I don’t know! Maybe!
- The situation in Texas is still grim and will be for a while. Here is a good list of charities that can help, if you have funds to give. As for whether or not Texas deserves to be “shamed” for the tragically predictable failures of their power grid, I like to go by the old ‘punch up not down’ rule. I don’t think the citizens of Texas deserve to freeze to death, regardless of their voting habits. But I have no qualms about shaming Senator Cruz and other Texas lawmakers for their overwhelming hypocrisy when it comes to federal aid after a natural disaster.
- Oregon Republicans are at it again– I guess this is just what they do now? I realize that remote learning has not been working out great for many students and teachers. However, simply refusing to come to work is not really an option that most working Oregonians have, so I think I’m justified in mocking these public servants (snicker) just a little a bit. My personal opinion is that modern Republicans in Oregon (like elsewhere) have simply backed themselves into a corner with their constituents by promising to improve their lives through deregulation and government inaction. This is convenient for them, because they can collect lots of campaign cash for doing literally nothing. Making policy that creates real, positive change is hard. Ignoring responsibility and waging silly culture wars between urban and rural constituents is much easier.
- Some encouraging climate news, assuming this change in policy goes through. Elections matter folks.
- Earlier this month, Amber Ruffin had some thoughts about Black History Month that I think every American should hear. Remember everyone, real history will make you uncomfortable now and then. If you feel warm and fuzzy every time you learn about the past, dig deeper.
- On a lighter note, Seattle Opera has been streaming some delightful recitals and clips free of charge. If you need a distraction, or just want to hear some lovely singing, check it out!
That concludes the link salad for now. Stay as safe and as sane as you can. Feed your brain good things.
One thought on “February Link Salad”
You CAN make friends with Salad!